God Answers Prayer: Linda’s Story
Hearing the testimony of God’s faithfulness from other people is priceless.
I hear the words they use to communicate with Him and my view of God expands. When I hear their testimonies of how He has spoken to them and moved on their behalf, my faith in Him multiplies. It’s like leaving the city limits and exploring new territory.
A few weeks ago, Linda shared an encounter she had with God and I’m captivated by it. I think you will be too. Thanks Linda for allowing me to share it.
Linda was deeply concerned about her son who was in a relationship with a Jezebel (a woman engaging in immorality, idolatry, false teaching and unrepentant sin). After learning even more painful truth of her son’s situation, Linda got in the car and said to the Lord, “I can not hear one more word about this. I just want to know what You and me are going to do about it.”
I love Linda’s boldness to go before the Lord with her request. Do you notice how she did not ask God what He was going to do or what God wanted her to do? She asked what are “we” going to do about it. In my mind’s eye, I see her approaching the God of Angel Armies asking Him to intervene and awaiting her own marching orders.
God’s response to Linda was “worship Me.” Linda reminded Him that she loved to worship Him and practiced doing so regularly.
So Linda decided to obey God’s simple request and to add sacrifice to this worship He was calling her to. She decided to get up early to worship Him and asked God to awaken her to do so. The very next morning she awoke at 3am and spent an hour dancing before Him, praising Him while in her nightgown.
Each day following, she awoke at 3am without the help of an alarm. She turned on her praise and worship music and danced before the Lord.
After six weeks, God let her know that she was done and it was done. She no longer needed to arise early to worship Him. Later that same afternoon, her son called to tell her that his eyes had been opened and he had ended the relationship with this woman.
Doesn’t that amaze you? How awesome is our God!
Here’s what I am learning from Linda’s testimony of answered prayer.
1. Linda was very bold with God. When I am not boldly praying and confidently trusting, I need to evaluate why. I need God to show me what stands in the way of my boldness and invite Him to reveal it so that I can confess it to him. I need Him to heal that area of my soul.
The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions. Proverbs 28:1
They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. Psalm 112:7
2. How could this young man’s life be different today if Linda had not asked God to intervene? Destruction was on the horizon of his life. But Linda asked and God answered.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7
3. Linda offered to be a part of the solution and awaited God’s instruction. How often have I prayed and asked God to intervene without asking what my role is in the situation. I am certainly guilty of making myself a part of the solution without asking God. But what if I humbly waited to see if God’s answer included me.
In an encounter with Isaiah, God asked who would go for Him, and Isaiah volunteered. Then God accepted his offer and told him what to do.
Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?” I (Isaiah) said, “Here I am. Send me.” Isaiah 6:8
4. Sometimes the answer is simple and seems very unrelated to situation. God’s instructions to Linda seemed completely off the topic of what needed to happen.
Ten lepers ask Jesus for healing. He instructed them to go and present themselves to the priests. They were miraculously healed on the way to see the priests. They were healed in the midst of their faithful obedience.
He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy. Luke 17:14
5. Obedience has rewards. Linda obeyed God’s instruction and added sacrifice to honor Him. Her obedience was met with a sure answer.
They (God’s Words) are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them. Psalm 19:11
Then at last everyone will say, “There truly is a reward for those who live for God; surely there is a God who judges justly here on earth. Psalm 58:11
But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. Jeremiah 17:7
When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful. Proverbs 28:19
6. Linda added a sacrifice of praise to show God her allegiance and to honor Him in advance of His answer.
But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me… Psalm 50:23
But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise, and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the LORD alone. Jonah 2:9
7. Worshipping God through a difficult situation is an emotionally healthy response. God’s plan for Linda to worship Him kept her eyes on Him, which leads to peace.
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Isaiah 26:3
8. Obediently worshipping God on behalf of her son built a firm foundation. Worrying about the situation would have been the same as building her house on the sand.
“Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.” Matthew 7:24-27
9. God is an excellent communicator. He gave Linda specific instructions of what to do, when to stop and why. Sometimes I hear directly from God. Many times it is while I am studying His Word, praising Him with song, or in the company of people who are deeply in love with Him.
He doesn’t always give me the “direct message” like He did for Linda in this case.
Maybe there are times He is giving it to me and I’m not listening, not expecting to hear from Him on it. There are times when I feel overwhelmed and exhausted by a situation or a prayer request from someone else. I’m not likely to hear His still small voice when my mind is cluttered and my body is tired.
Linda got alone with the Lord on this matter. She escaped to her car where she could be alone with God.
Be silent before the LORD, all humanity, for he is springing into action from his holy dwelling. Zechariah 2:13
Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world. Psalm 46:10
May God fill us with boldness and courage to ask Him for what we need. May we all give our lives to worshipping Him and living His Word. May we live with our eyes focused on Him.
Lord, give us eyes to see Your goodness fulfilled on behalf of Your people. In Jesus I pray. Amen
What part of Linda’s experience with God captivates your attention?
About Jennifer O. White
I'm a simple wife who has discovered God's amazing gift of prayer. Here at Prayerfully Speaking I share my journey of unwrapping this gift. God invites us to ask Him, but His enemy works diligently to keep that from happening. I hope to offer you encouragement to believe God is ready to pour more into your life than you've ever imaged.