Simple Prayers for the Spouse Who Wants a Divorce
This post assumes the divorce is desired because sin is leading the person away from marriage. I recognize that is not always the case.
What do you do when you hear that someone wants to leave or has chosen to leave their marriage? It’s easy to worry about them. But that worry can steal our joy and our peace. It can even lead to gossip and slander.
We need a plan to prevent our minds from racing down that unproductive trail and adding to the problem. We need to know what God can do and invite Him to do it. Praying His Word reminds us of His power and promises. It also insures that we are asking according to His will and He promises He will answer those prayers! I love a guarantee.
Here are 12 One-Sentence prayers you and I can pray for the person who wants to walk away from their marriage. Let’s pray these in the name of Jesus, who has insured the spiritual blessings our friends need.
1. God, grant ______________ a Damascus Road like experience that will transform _______ focus to You and Your will. (Acts 9:1-19)
2. God, I invite You to help ______________ fear You and hold Your Word in high esteem so that _______ will be satisfied in life and this marriage. (Proverbs 19:23)
3. God, please impart Your wisdom into _________’s mind so that_______ heart is pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. (James 3:17)
4. God, please pour out Your spirit on ______________ giving _______ dreams and visions that will lead ________ to fulfill the vows _______ made to to You and ______________. (Acts 2:17)
5. God if ______________’s lack of love for ______________ means that_______ does not know You, I invite You to make Yourself known to _______. (1 John 4:8)
6. God please remind ______________ that true love is patient, kind, rejoices in truth, and endures all things with hope. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
7. God, I invite Your steadfast love and righteousness into ______________’s heart trusting that faithfulness and peace will follow. (Psalm 85:10)
8. God please guide ______________ to aim for restoration with ______________ and to a life of peace and harmony together. (2 Corinthians 13:11)
9. God, please grant ______________ a fresh dose of true humility so _______ can think with sober judgment and act on the faith You freely give. (Romans 12:3)
10. God, please help ______________ see Your path for _______ life and marriage and desire it above everything else. (Psalm 16:11)
11. God ______________ needs Your help to be humble enough to pray and seek Your face and turn from _______ wicked ways. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
12. God, please restore to ______________ the joy of Your salvation and help _______ to be willing to obey You. (Psalm 51:12)
Our pastor, Ted Cunningham, encourages us to be great backup singers in the lives of the couples around us. Here is the sermon audio and video for added inspiration to be the light to other marriages in your sphere of influence.
About Jennifer O. White
I'm a simple wife who has discovered God's amazing gift of prayer. Here at Prayerfully Speaking I share my journey of unwrapping this gift. God invites us to ask Him, but His enemy works diligently to keep that from happening. I hope to offer you encouragement to believe God is ready to pour more into your life than you've ever imaged.